Monday, May 2, 2011

2011 AVIA Wildflower Triathlon













This year's 29th Annual AVIA Wildflower Triathlon was amazing, as always. It's the Woodstock of triathlon and I thoroughly enjoy being around people who live and celebrate this healthy lifestyle. My favorite thing about Wildflower would have to be the humbling race experience every age grouper goes through in their quest to evolve in the sport. It's certainly humbling when you whiteness what the elite are capable of enduring on this very same race course but it's those lessons learned that allow us grow as we laugh at ourselves and share in this common experience. This year I had the opportunity to publish some of my favorite campfire stories for everyone on page 50 of the official Wildflower event program and tell my story in an interview for TriCal TV.

I arrived at Lake San Antonio on Thursday to set up the Visalia Triathlon Club campsite. This included setting up 5 tents and roping off space for 5 RV's for friends arriving the following day. We scored a prime campsite location including game day lounge seating at the half way point of the run course. Camp set up was followed by packet pick up and an interview with the director of TriCal TV.

On Friday, I woke up with real bad allergies leading to a head ache. Fortunately, this went away after taking allergy medication and acclimating to the environment. This is exactly why I come one day early so that I have time to adjust. Racing in a new location, your body will respond better if you acclimate and give yourself time to settle in. On Friday afternoon, everyone arrived at camp and I took the bus to the race expo, bringing along plenty of fluid & fruit to stay fueled. At the expo, I entered my name in a drawing (won a Polar RS300 watch) purchased some local wine labeled Wildflower (for Grandma who's babysitting back home) and meet Ben Greenfield (the endurance nutrition expert).

Race night you can't expect much sleep because you'll either be excited with pre-race jitters or the noise will keep you awake as cars pull into the campsite through the night. Fortunately, I had a great night sleep on Thursday and got plenty of relaxation during my taper week. Game day I woke up early for my cup of coffee and there's something about a morning campfire to make you feel like your going into battle. By the time everyone else awoke, I was in race day uniform including helmet prancing around a blazing campfire with music and all to awaken the fire in me, ha! Going down Lynch hill with the triathlon backpack on and people all around on amazing bikes you can just feel that incredible vibe the magic this event brings.

After setting up transition, I had time to warm up and watch the pro's. I love the fact that these guys will suffer the same elements (hot weather, cold water temp, headwinds, etc). They lead by example when they kick off the race in the first wave to show us age groupers how it's really done. One of my favorite mantras goes along these same lines, 'shut up and ride'.

On the swim, I line up in front and enjoy the entry as everyone elbows for space. I'm comfortable in the water and enjoy contact sports. I stayed on the heels of the former high school/college swimmers as long as I could then did my best to navigate past the age groups who started in the waves in front of us. Personally, I find the swim does not test my max speed as much as it tests my navigational skills. I had a decent swim time and certainly had more fun than those in my way.

Things are looking good through T1 as I make my way out on the bike. My bike strategy was to conserve on the first hill then attack the 5 rollers that followed leading into mile 10 then max out on the aero section of the course for the next 30 miles. Overall, I played the bike course exactly as planned, conserving on both major hills and attaching on everything else. However, I came in just over my 3 hour bogie but given the massive headwinds it was on par for what I had expected to achieve. Toward the end of the course, we had a training partner reunion as Monte overtook me followed by us both overtaking Josh Polk. Yes, I did give Josh Polk the inevitable ass smakin' as I rode by which I had established as a training partner tradition our first year on the course. It worked and woke him up to finish the bike leg with me strong as we entered T2 together.

Out of the run gate at T2 my training partner Josh Polk took off given running is his strength. I employed some sound running strategy advice; 'keep him in your sights'. The first half of the run course includes the grueling hills and with each turn, it took everything in me to ensure he was still visible on the horizon. At the half way point on the run, there was my sanctuary, the Visalia Triathlon Club campsite with everyone there cheering. Its funny how the return on investment in people works and the karma coming back to me at this particular moment was more than I would have expected. Running through my camp triggered the negative split in me and my pace completely transformed into that second wind that just makes your race. Landon paced me and gave me my split, 5 minutes behind Polk. It was on and I kindled the motivation to grind up the hill knowing a long descent through the team in training campsite area was to follow. This move paid dividends and I caught Polk about mile 11. The two of us proceeded to pace to Lynch Hill where I found that 'extra gear' at the end of the race to bring it home. The finish line was lined with people, yelling and screaming and feeling good I simulated a slam dunk on the finish line clock. The best thing about today is how good I felt after, not injured or run down like the prior year and I'm so looking forward to keeping my #1 focus to stay consistent on a marathon training plan to work toward qualifying for Boston which in turn will also help me at the Vineman full end of year.

No comments: