Sunday, November 15, 2015

Malibu 13.1


It was a normal Saturday and I’m at home when I receive a text from Justin.  “Well the sickness has cut me down and out.  If you want to drive down south you can have my bib.  You’ll probably be home by 3:00 tomorrow.  Let me know if you’re interested.”  My reply, “I’m in”.  
That evening, I drive down south on the 99, 5 and 101 to Malibu.  The race is held next to the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreational Area on the ocean front of Hwy 1.  When I look at a map, my eyes are always drawn to the green recreational areas, regional & national parks as key destinations where I wish to spend my free time.  This location did not disappoint and with the road closed to cars we’ve magically make Hwy1 our playground.
I paced a 7:22, 1:37 race.  I felt really good using this race as long run practice pacing for my full as I normally do my long runs on Sunday.  My worst mile was a hill at 7:58 but my last mile was 7:08 so my endurance is good and I’ll need to work on strength.  I tried something new at this race and went exclusively on water.  This was in part due to the aid stations only carrying water so participants don’t litter gel wrappers next to the Great Pacific Ocean.  It’s sometimes refreshing to learn to go minimalistic weather that is with gear, weight or nutrition and with this season focused on simply running, I feel like I want to run in that direction.



No comments: